One of the most common questions is what do I eat once I’ve been diagnosed with Fatty Liver (non-alcoholic fatty liver disease)?
Well here’s a great shopping list with a wide variety of foods and drinks to pick from.
Some of these items are liver super foods and may have positive impacts on your liver. Always make sure you consult your doctor before changing your diet to ensure these items are suitable for you.
Fatty Liver Shopping List
- Broccoli (liver superfood)
- Spinach (great for liver and full of antioxidants, Vitamin A and K)
- Carrots (high in Vitamin C, K and potassium (ref)
- Garlic (liver superfood)
- Brussell sprouts
- Green peas
- Ginger (liver superfood)
- Red cabbage
- Sweet potatoes
- Blueberries (full of polyphenols that may protect against fatty liver)
- Red or purple grapes
- Prickly pear
- Almonds (rich in Vitamin E and may protect against Fatty Liver)
- Walnuts (very good for fatty liver – ref)
- Spring water (note: make sure you’re drinking lots of water every day, it’s one of the best ways to let your liver heal).
- Mineral water
- Sparkling water (add a squeeze of lemon juice for extra flavor!)
- Organic coffee – this one off Amazon tastes great – coffee may protect against fatty liver NAFLD (ref)
- Beetroot juice
- Organic green tea (rich in antioxidants)
- AVOID – sugary drinks at all cost; this is directly damaging to your liver and will slow down a fatty liver reversal.
- Lean chicken breast (select organic and hormone free)
- Lean turkey (organic and hormone free)
- Salmon (rich in Omega 3s and great for Fatty Liver – ref)
- Olive oil (can improve liver enzymes)
- Oatmeal – healthy and lowers cholesterol
- Make a moderate healthy fruit salad (apple, pineapple, peach, pears, watermelon) with some low fat yoghurt
- Purchase specific low-sugar / carbohydrate chocolates like these Atkins ones off Amazon below – try to avoid snacking on full-sugar chocolate as this will undo all your hard work.
Make sure you AVOID:
- Sugary drinks (soda, sports drinks) – always check the label for ADDED SUGARS!
- Sweet pastries, cakes, cookies, sugary desserts and white bread (too high in refined carbohydrates, bad for your liver)
- Alcohol – cut back on alcohol, this is directly poisonous for your liver
- Sugar added fruit juices: although fruit juices may appear to be healthy, many have huge amounts of added sugars which is just as bad for your liver as soda.
Be careful with artificial sweeteners
Be careful with artificial sweeteners such as aspartame.
Artificial sweeteners can cause hunger cravings in humans, leading them to overeat!
Overeating is not exactly what you want if you are trying to lose weight!
See this post here for information on artificial sweeteners in soda and fatty liver.
Try to include as much organic fresh fruit and vegetables as possible in your shopping list for your liver.
Avoid any processed items high in sugar or trans fats.
Drink plenty of filtered or spring water to help your liver heal.
Make sure you avoid drinking any sugary drinks as these are the worst things to drink for your liver.
Having a healthy diet (like the items listed above) and exercising are the most important habits to get into for reversing a fatty liver condition (NAFLD).